Dear Gracie,
It's 10:20pm on the day before your 1st birthday. Mommy and Daddy have been busy getting all of your birthday things together to take to Grandpa and Grandma's house for your party tomorrow. Everyone is so excited! They can't wait to celebrate with you!
I just wanted to take some time to reflect on this past year and to tell you how much you mean to us. First of all, Mommy and Daddy were told that it was very unlikely we'd have a baby on our own because of some of Mommy's medical problems. Imagine the surprise when we found out I was pregnant with you!! You have been our little miracle from the very beginning. We were very blessed that God sent you to us. One year ago today, I was sent to the hospital after a doctor's appointment because my blood pressure was borderline high and you weren't responding to the non-stress test well (you never did!) The doctor decided it was time for you to come out so we went to the hospital. I was so very happy going into the hospital but I had no idea how much happier I'd be when I left! I always knew I loved you, but I had no idea just how strong that love would be. I can't remember life without you.
Since the day you came into our lives, Daddy and Mommy have been head over heels in love with you. You have always been so loving, happy and healthy! You have gone from a newborn, totally depending on us for your every need to nearly a toddler, learning how to do things on your own. We've watched you learn to roll, sit, stand and you have taken your first steps. You've gone 6 steps in a row and we know it won't be long before we are chasing you everywhere! You've gone from laying on a playmat, staring at the stars above your head to playing with blocks, books, animals, balls... you think just about everything is a toy! We've went from putting you in your swing, to watching you jump in your jumperoo, strolling around the floor in your walker, to crawling and now you are nearly walking on your own. You've gone from cooing to babbling and can now say a few words (Dada, Mama, duck, dog, egg, Aeden... although Dada is your favorite!) You smile all the time, clap your hands whenever you are happy and/or hear someone else clap, and pucker your lips like you are going to give a kiss. You throw your hands above your head if someone asks you how big you are, will count up to three on your fingers (although you haven't done that in awhile!), do some of the hand motions Grandma taught you to "climb sunshine mountain" and are starting to catch on to Patty Cake and The Itsy, Bitsy Spider. You love being outdoors and we learned pretty early that you love to swing!
There are so many memories I want to keep forever of you at this age: the way you stand in your crib and smile when we open the bedroom door in the morning, the way you rub your eyes when you are tired, the way you say "ummm" when you eat something you like, the way you will cry when Mommy and Daddy go into a room and shut the door (you don't understand the concept of a bathroom yet!) :-) I love watching you sleep... everytime I come in your room, you are in a different position and like mommy, always kick your covers off. I know there are so many more and my hope is that by keeping this blog, I will write down most of those memories!
You are such a blessing in so many people's lives. Your grandparents love you so much and always want you to come and visit. Your aunts, uncles and cousins love playing with you and watching you grow as well. Everyone offers to babysit!! Although when you do stay with someone else, Mommy and Daddy say every 5 minutes, "I miss Gracie." And we do. We feel like a piece of us is missing when you aren't with us.
As much as I'm going to miss you being my "infant" (you will always be my baby no matter what stage in life you are), I am looking forward to watching you grow up into the wonderful little girl I know you will be. Mommy and Daddy will always be here to help you along the way. I look forward to the upcoming fall holidays and watching you explore pumpkins, leaves and maybe even some Halloween candy. I can't wait to see your face Christmas morning and watch you running for Easter eggs. And I can't wait for every day in between all the holidays as we just live life to our absolute fullest and never take a day for granted.
You can be sure that tonight (like every night) I will thank God for sending you to us. Happy Birthday, my sweet Gracie girl. I will get all my tears (happy and sad) out tonight and I can't wait to celebrate with you tomorrow!!
Love,
Mommy
P.S. If you are reading this and would like to leave Gracie a birthday message, please do so. I am going to print them and put them in her scrapbook! Thanks!!
Friday, July 24, 2009
Dear Gracie,
Posted by Kristal at 10:18 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

0 comments:
Post a Comment