I picked Gracie up early from school on Monday so that I could take her to have her full evaluation done in a preschool classroom in our school district. I was a little confused since I had assumed that she would actually be participating in a real classroom setting (with kids present.) We were in a classroom, but she was the only child there at first. Another little boy showed up a few minutes later. So it was the little boy (he was almost 3) and Gracie, along with 2 preschool teachers, a teacher's assistant, the language/speech pathologist and psychologist. The mom of the little boy and I sat in the office while they evaluated them in the classroom.
About 30 minutes later, the preschool teacher who would have Gracie in her room if she qualifies came down to talk to me. She had an enrollment packet and told me I needed to fill it out and call the Central Enrollment office to set up an appointment to turn it in. She told me that Gracie was doing great, that she was adorable and really smart. She told me that she couldn't tell me any of the results until the reports were written, but did imply that she would qualify for services.
Thirty minutes after that, Gracie came down the hall, all smiles, holding a drawing and painting that she had done in the classroom. The psychologist set up our next appointment on Oct. 25. At this meeting, they will share their reports and results and tell me what services she qualifies for, if any.
After I got home, I called the Central Enrollment Office and scheduled an appointment for next Monday. In the meantime, I have to gather all the necessary paperwork.. the deed to our home, Gracie's birth certificiate, a copy of her physical/vaccination record and fill out a dozen forms.
The people I have dealt with so far in our district have been fantastic. I have had to call and email different people with questions or clarifications and everyone has been super patient and nice. They have answered every question I've had and believe me, I've had a lot of them!
As nice as everyone has been, it's also been a frustrating experience because it is taking so long to get everything done. It's a game of hurry up just to wait. My gut is still telling me that she won't qualify for preschool, but will for therapy. *crossing my fingers* Stay tuned...
Wednesday, October 3, 2012
Evaluation Done.. back to waiting
Posted by Kristal at 1:37 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

0 comments:
Post a Comment