CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Monday, March 15, 2010

1st hospital visit

When Gracie got up from a very short nap yesterday, she just didn't seem like herself. She had a stuffy nose and was pulling at her ear and after getting a temperature reading of 102.7, I figured she had another ear infection. No big deal, we could wait until this morning (Monday) to call the pediatrician. The rest of the day, she would have spurts of acting like herself but spent a lot of time wanting to be held (which is not like her AT ALL). She didn't eat much (a piece of cinnamon toast and a pudding cup) and she didn't want anything to drink. On our drive home, she threw up. Luckily, we were almost home! Nick changed her into her pajamas while I wrestled the car seat out of the van and threw the cover in the washer. We no more had everything back under control when she threw up all over Nick. Another set of pajamas. We got that cleaned up and I took her temperature again. Even after Tylenol, it was still 102.7. I called the pediatrician just to make sure there wasn't something more I could do. She said to just keep an eye on her and to call back if anything changed or if Gracie started having any breathing trouble. Gracie sat and watched cartoons with Daddy and sipped some pedialyte while I started another load of pukey laundry (yuck!!) She seemed to be feeling a little better for awhile, but started to get very sleepy. It was only 7:15 (but since we had just changed the clocks an hour forward the night before), it was only 6:15 Gracie time. I was holding her on my lap when she threw up again. Another change of pajamas. We let her sit up awhile longer and then decided to try to lay her down. We brought the baby monitor out into the living room so we could hear her and about 15 minutes after we laid her down, we heard her coughing. I ran into her room and she had thrown up again. It was all over her crib, her and her hair! We ran a lukewarm bath for her and got her cleaned up and her hair washed. We got her out, put her in clean pajamas (her last pair of clean pajamas!) and I took her temp again... 103.9. We gave her some more motrin (thanks, Scharlene!) and I called the pediatrician back and she told us to take her to Children's Hospital. Nick got Gracie ready to go while I got the car seat back together and in the van. ER was interesting. Lots of fine parenting going on.. LOL. We sat in the waiting room about 75 minutes before they called us back. By then, Gracie's fever was down (of course) and she had not thrown up since before we left the house (again, of course). We got through triage, only to sit in another waiting room. After another 10 minutes, they pulled us back into an exam room, where we waited another 20 minutes to see a nurse practitioner. She confirmed that Gracie did have an ear infection and most likely, a stomach virus as well. She left to get an antibiotic and Gracie threw up all over the exam room. After getting everything cleaned up, they gave her the antibiotic and we were on our way. Gracie slept most of the way home and threw up again as Nick was carrying her in the house. Luckily, she managed not to get it on her pajamas! We laid her down and she went right to sleep. I made a pot of coffee for us (Nick still had work he had to get done and I knew I wouldn't be able to sleep!) Gracie threw up again at 2:30 and 3:30. She slept from 3:30 until 8:00. She seemed to be better when she got up (although I'm certain it was a stomach virus after her diaper this morning!) She has kept down a piece of toast and pedialyte. She isn't very active, but is talkative. (She was "talking" to Barney and clapping from the couch.) She went back down at 10:15 and it's almost 1:00 and she is still sleeping.

Gracie in the exam room last night, watching the Disney channel.

0 comments: