CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Dr. Appointment

The doctor's appointment went fabulous! It started with an ultrasound. She said the baby was head-down and would most likely stay that way. She said the fluid level was good and the blood flow through the umbilical cord looked fine. She said she had a decent size head (!!!) and that she was estimating her weight to be 6lbs 10oz, which puts her in the 59th percentile. Good thing her weight has slowed down! We got two pictures but it's very hard to see anything other than the outline of her head and, in one, her hand. Poor thing is all out of room in there!
After the ultrasound, we had the non-stress test. The nurse had a hard time finding Gracie's heartbeat, but eventually got it. Then she handed me a little "Jeopardy"-like button thing and told me to press it whenever I felt her move. Then I had to lay there on my back!! Do you know how hard that is to do when you are 8 months pregnant!?!?! Unfortunately, after the nurse left the room, Gracie moved and her heartbeat was no longer registering on the machine. So about 5 minutes later, the nurse came back in with the midwife and the midwife (Nichole) told me to lay on my side and she was able to get a better reading of her heartbeat. This time, we got about 20 good minutes of her heartbeat on the monitor, but she only moved 3 times! The midwife came in and "zapped" her... LOL... Not really, it's just a noise maker to try to get her to move. She moved a few more times but not enough. So the nurse came back in and gave me a small cup of M&Ms to eat. That got her moving. After 20 more minutes, Nichole came back in the room and looked at the printout. She liked what she saw and said Gracie had passed the test!
I still wasn't done. I then had to do the usual urine/weight/blood pressure check (bp was 120/80!) and then had a Group B Strep test performed. I'll spare you the details, but I should find out in a week if I have it or not. If I do have it, then I will need to receive antibiotics as soon as I go in for delivery so that I do not pass it along to Gracie. I also found out that the 24 hour urine test I had to do over the weekend, came back perfect. No signs of pre-e!
I learned that I have to do the ultrasound/non-stress test weekly until she's out! I'm not really looking forward to the weekly non-stress tests, but it'll be nice to continue knowing she's doing great!
My next appointment is next Thursday afternoon.

0 comments: